Developing within FileMaker is unlike working within an Integrated development environment. In order to facilitate developer features beyond those provided by FileMaker itself, it's helpful to add specific developer features to aid in the development process.
Example of a Developer menu
The following screen shot presents a Developer menu which only appears when the file is opened with developmental access (typically by using the Developer custom function).
While the Standards.fp7 file does include the Developer menu set and menu, it is documented here for reference.
The process of adding a Developer menu is very straight forward. Follow these steps.
1) Rename the secondary menu created by FileMaker from Custom Menu Set 1 to Developer. If you've already renamed this menu and deleted items, then you'll have to start from scratch or duplicate any other menu as a starting point.
2) Create a new Custom Menu named Developer and add this to the Custom Menu Set named Developer (note: A Custom Menu Set and Custom Menu are two different things).
3) Make sure to add the Developer custom function to your solution. This is used to limit access to running developer related scripts.
4) Create a dedicated Developer Startup script which is called via a Perform Script step within the actual Startup script set in the File options. Provided the logged-in account is a Developer account, the Developer menu should be installed.
5) Use one single script as a dispatcher for all developer related actions (menu items within the Developer menu). This simplifies the process of managing individual menus. Passing a named parameter of $key tells the dispatcher script which sub-script to run.
6) Add as many relevant Developer related menu items to this menu. The following screen shot shows two common developer actions of saving a backup (only works on a locally developed file) and re-login. Make note of the Perform Script action for the menu where making a new menu item is simply a matter of clicking the Duplicate button and changing the inbound parameter of $key.